The school has had more than one name over the years. First, it was called La Canada Junior High School when it was initially established in 1950. In 1968, it was renamed Foothill Intermediate School. In 1998, the intermediate school was relocated to the LCHS campus, where it would become known as LCHS 7/8.
The first photo, preserved from the Foothill Intermediate School 1973 yearbook, shows Foothill Intermediate school, located where the district office is today.